Former Super Eagles captain Mikel Obi has been named the current richest Nigerian footballer with a net worth of about ₦23 billion.
The 33-year-old Mikel, who currently plays for English club, Stoke City, made most of his fortunes during his stint at Premier League club Chelsea.
Chelsea were granted a work permit for the midfielder after they completed the £16 million signing in June 2006, where he made 249 league appearances, and getting a goal before he moved to Chinese club Tianjin TEDA in 2017.
Second on the list of current richest Nigerian footballers is ₦14 billion worth Obafemi Martins. The 36-year-old currently plays for Chinese club Wuhan Zall as a striker and has scored one league goal since joining last year.
The striker is worth over $25 million with houses in both Lagos and Italy where he spent a major part of his playing career.
He also has a Mercedes Benz SLR Mc Laren, Mercedes Benz G-class, Lamborghini Aventador among others in his car garage.
Odion Ighalo is third on the list, with the former Shanghai Shenhua striker having a net worth of ₦12 billion.
The former Manchester United striker currently plays for Al Shabab of Saudi Arabia where he has scored 3 goals in 5 matches since he joined earlier this year.
Below are the top 10 richest Nigerian footballers in 2021 according to clacified.com
10. Alex Iwobi – ₦1.3 billion
9. Kelechi Iheanacho – ₦1.4 billion
8. Victor Anichebe – ₦6 billion
7. Emmanuel Emenike – ₦6.4 billion
6. Ahmed Musa – ₦6.5 billion
5. Chelsea’s Victor Moses – ₦7.3 billion
4. Vincent Enyeama – ₦10 billion
3. Odion Jude Ighalo – ₦12 billion
2. Obafemi Akinwunmi Martins – ₦14 billion
1. John Obi Mikel – ₦23 billion